Tuesday, February 23, 2016

This is it.

This is it. The last chapter of my Shanghai travel book. The final week of my journey. My goodness has time flown, quicker than the blink of an eye it feels. As I am sitting here soaking in the Shanghai skyline from my apartment dining table for who knows, maybe the fifth last time as I am writing this blog, it has dawned on me that exactly this time in four days, I will be mid flight to Hong Kong. Reality is disturbing – I have survived two months here and Shanghai has been my home this summer. Christmas was spent here, then New Year’s, and even Australia Day that is coming up. So far, 2016 has been nothing short of amazing.
I am sitting here very unsure what to write. A wave of emotions has hit again, a spinning blur of excitement to be leaving the cold and polluted air but also a sense of sadness as there will be distinct parts of Shanghai I will forever miss and cannot experience back at home. There is just something about Shanghai that I cannot put into words that makes it a place everyone needs to see and experience for themselves.
One final trip to Perry’s was made last night to celebrate the end of a journey, the completion of the internship, the bonds made between friends and work colleagues, and to Shanghai itself. Despite the icy winds, chilling temperature drop and tiredness, we braved it outside and all feelings of regret disappeared the moment we saw the Perry’s sign.
Inside, familiar faces were seen amongst the busy crowd and drinks were ordered for what we knew would be a good night ahead. My work colleagues came to farewell me, a moment that was both happy and sad. Happy that we had become so close over such a short period of time but sad as we will go our separate ways and no one knew when we would see each other again. Those familiar Perry’s faces joined the festivities and the night flew by that quickly, I found myself crying and saying goodbye to Tess, my work colleague and now best friend, too many times. Many hugs and other goodbyes were exchanged and now I have realised another page in my final chapter of my Shanghai book has been flipped.
To top off the week and possibly the entire journey, it snowed after leaving Perry’s. What an end to such a great night already! The excitement and awe between us all could be felt from miles away as we raced outside and played in the snow for a good half hour. It was at that moment I truly forgot everything around me and took in the beauty of Shanghai with my best friend peacefully.
I cannot believe it is almost time to say goodbye to the city and to everyone I have met on this two month journey. As sad as I am, my time in Shanghai is up and it is time for me to move on. Thank you so much Shanghai, or “Shangers” as all us Australians have decided to call it, for the memories, the snow, the wonderful people I have been blessed to meet, the cheap cab rides, the Wi-Fi service in cabs, the McDelivery service, the peanut chocolate sundaes from McDonalds, the red bean sundaes from KFC, the fried rice at the Muslim place just down the road, the lack of bottled milk, the questionable meats and genetically modified fruits, the dodgy internet that always requires a VPN, the pollution, and yes, even the peak hour metro rides. Without all this, Shanghai would have been different and I would not have had the experience I had.
Last day of work after 2 months
photo 1 (1)
Snowfall in Shanghai on Friday night 
photo 2
Thank you Perry’s for all those memories! (Or lack of? Haha!) 
photo 3 (1)
Was starting to get used to sunny and clear mornings… But I am leaving now! 
photo 4 (1)

The post This is it. appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment