Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Week six has come and gone

Week six has come and gone before I could even comprehend. In less than two weeks, I will be off and on my way to Hong Kong; to better air, warmer weather and a place I can actually communicate in. Pros aside, I am experiencing mixed emotions about leaving. Sure, warmer weather, real sun, healthier air and being able to converse properly does sound appealing and do not get me wrong, I am very excited for this, but this also means I will be leaving behind the amazing people I have met here, the phenomenal night life, the cheap taxi rides, and of course the McDelivery service! It has been such a remarkable journey, one only made possible by the friends here I now consider family.

This week has been quite dull in comparison to last week, given the exponential workload we received at work so Perry’s nightly was sadly not a thing. However, I did make time for a night out and was more than impressed with it. Mint Shanghai is definitely a place like no other and really makes Australia’s clubs seem tedious. I mean, who has a ten metre tank with baby sharks in it?! Well, Mint does. That already, was impressive enough. To top it off completely, we were given awesome table service as well as unlimited alcohol and the music did not disappoint. What a great night! Too bad it was a weeknight not the weekend…

Another trip to the fake markets was also made. Although we had already been countless times – three to be exact – we still managed to find more things to buy and spend an entire day there. Twenty watches, five wallets, three handbags later, we decided we were fitting in a final trip back to the markets next weekend to buy anything else we thought we wanted, but certainly not needed. That was about the highlight of my dull weekend, given I had been sick all week, hence the inactivity.

One intern did say to me, “every time I step out of the apartment, I feel like I am losing a month of my life”. The accuracy hurts. This is perhaps the underlying reason behind my eagerness to travel out of Shanghai. But this brings me back to my initial thought – as with every decision and action you make, there are the good things that come with it but also the bad. You just cannot have everything. I am ready to leave Shanghai but I feel like I can also wait. Looks like I will just have to try really hard and make the absolute most of the time I have left here before I regret it when I am back in Australia, sitting on the beach under the scorching sun and wishing I was back in Shanghai with bubble tea in one hand and walking through East Nanjing, enjoying the city view from my balcony in Pudong, or sipping free cocktails with the sharks at Mint.

The post Week six has come and gone appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment