Monday, February 1, 2016

Xi’an

Traveling around china near the festive Chinese New Year is extremely expensive!

Chinese new year is scheduled according to an agricultural calendar, I don’t know how to explain how it works, but it’s an easy Google Search. Last week, I traveled to Xi’an for the holiday. What a beautiful and historical place! I left Friday night at 8 PM and got to my hostel at 1:30 AM– what the hell.

Thankfully, my hostel was amazing and had a great traditional Chinese entrance with Chinese architecture.I was thrilled with being in a hostel again! I hadn’t stayed in one for over two years and there is no energy like the one you get from a hostel. You are surround by other travelers eager to explore the new city and all the different cultures. There was a restaurant, a pool table and many dining tables. Dim lighting and international flags hanging from the ceiling. I passed the restaurant and went to my room, Room 107. There were 3 sets of bunk beds. It was dark, as it was 1:30am and all of my roommates were asleep already. I was so excited to be there! I managed to be as quiet as possible and used my phone as a light, got on the top bunk closest to the door (it being the only one available). Finally in bed.

I booked a tour for the Terracotta Warriors immediately upon arrival. Unfortunately, my tour was booked for 8:30 am the next day. I woke up at 7am, went to the showers (second floor, 4 closed showers in a ladies room). Something about this!! Hostel environments are so exciting and different. I love them. I showered and headed downstairs to put my stuff in a safe in my room. After that headed to the restaurant and had some breakfast. The hostel was offering a Swiss breakfast and an American breakfast. I went for the swiss. It included a slice of swiss cheese (lol) a sunny side egg (which I had not had since I was probably 7 years old), some toast and oatmeal. Again, I LOVE THIS HOSTEL LIFE. Everything was presented perfectly in comparison with my typical oatmeal breakfasts– a complete plate, at a cheap price, is just life.

8:30 AM rolled around AND I WAS READY FOR MY TOUR. I am a history and anthropology fanatic so I was very excited for this trip. There is something about knowing how we got to where we are and our evolution as a society that I find intoxicating! Fortunately, my tour guide was just as passionate (probably more) than me. She is an anthropology and international cultures major at the University in Xi’an. She was a perfect guide! We went to the official factory where they make the retail Terracotta warriors. Next, we went to a village that was 6,000 years old!!!! SIX THOUSAND years old. What does that even mean!? I’m not even sure I comprehend the grandness of it but still, it was amazing to see and experience.

IMG_4069

Finally we made it to the Terracotta Warriors.  The Terracotta warriors were commanded by China’s first emperor, Qin Shi Huang. They were built to guide and protect the emperor in his afterlife. They were made of clay from the Lishan mountain in Xi’an and “cooked” in an oven at 600C for, I believe 8 hours. The detailing on them is amazing. AMAZING. Perfectly shaped faces, all different, all (10,000 of them?). Detailing in their hairs, shoes, shoe soles, armor, facial expressions! Everything. The time it must have taken. The commitment. They are beautiful. There four main types of warriors are: Infantry, the famous kneeling archers, officers and the general.

Xi’an is a must for anyone traveling in China. I love having the opportunity to be here, traveling, learning and interning all at the same time. Perfection.

The post Xi’an appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment