Wednesday, May 18, 2016

From Gibson Island to Beijing

My name is Henry Hyde, I am from Gibson Island, Maryland, US of A. I am twenty years old, and am in my last year at university to get my bachelors in International Business with a minor in Asian Studies. This is my fourth trip to China, and will be my longest stay here yet. I have studied Chinese for 7 years and counting, and am still discovering new things about China every day.

I am doing one month of Chinese classes and one month of internship at a subsidiary of IQAir, which makes air filters for homes and businesses.

It is definitely a bit of a shock to get acclimated to China, even for me. A lot of things are different. Back home, I am an avid artist, mainly 3D, and our apartments are right next to the 798 Art District. Even though it’s more commercial than anything else, it’s a nice oasis from the hustle and bustle of Beijing. It’s a little more Hutong style in its construction and much quieter than many other places. There are art galleries, music and art shops, and Eastern and Western restaurants.

Henry Hyde 1

My particular fascination with 798 is the graffiti that’s everywhere. It is everywhere and  really gives 798 a personality of young, non-establishment artists. It contrasts with the art galleries in 798 where you’re told to “ooh” and “ahh” at the art, and is actually often good. There’s a graffiti shop where one could buy spray paint and the striking apparel of local graffiti artists (lots of hemp leaves). I would like to try my hand at it, but I’m not sure of the rules and regulations. It seems like a big attraction to the area. I’ll have to return and ask someone about it, who knows, maybe I’ll be Beijing’s next graffiti Michelangelo!

Henry Hyde 4 Henry Hyde 3 Henry Hyde 2

The post From Gibson Island to Beijing appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment