Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Beijing – Week 1

I’ve now been in Beijing for a week and what a week it has been. I find it difficult to describe what it is like to be in Beijing. From the food stalls on the footpath, cheap clothing, bartering, fried food of all kinds, smells both good and bad, smog, history, economic and political power; are but some of the things Beijing has to offer. Even just flying in I could tell this was going to be an adventure.

The CRCC team (Jason and Gogo) here in Beijing are very helpful, interesting, fun to talk to and supportive. Gogo even helped me try to get my EFTPOS card back from a bank, who’s ATM had confiscated it. Plus they also organise weekend trips, so on Saturday I am off to see the Great Wall which I am very excited for.

One of the best things about the CRCC programme is that I am with a group of students or recent graduates who generally haven’t been to China before and also speak limited Mandarin. Because we are all in the same boat everyone bonded instantly and we get on really well. We go on adventures together such as sight-seeing, going out to dinner, and even hitting the town on some nights. There is usually someone who wants to go get dinner at a new restaurant, try some new cuisine we can’t pronounce, or possibly even try some suspect street food. The food in China is delicious just full of flavour. I try to order the more traditional Chinese food or at least less westernised. The local food is both cheaper and generally tastier than dishes adapted to western culture. On the first night I ended up eating fern root noodles with chilli; they were delicious so hot and fresh.

On the first weekend I went with a few of the other interns to see Tiananmen Square. On the way we got lost trying to navigate the buses for the first time. But then we were rescued by a local called Anna. Such a lovely lady she showed us the way to Beijing and then actually joined us in walking through Tiananmen square, through the forbidden city and up into Jingshan Park. At the top of the hill was a lookout back over Beijing where we could see everything we had just walked through. She ended up being our personal tour guide, translating for us and showing us around. There is a picture of us at the look out. I have also attached a photo of a couple of the interns Sean and Amulia in traditional robes. Afterwards Anna told us that Sean was wearing the robes usually worn by the princess.

I have been doing the Language course so cannot really vouch for the internships yet. But from what I have heard everyone is pretty happy with their internships, some are already going on evening functions and sitting in on international meetings. The language course I am doing is interactive and enjoyable; already I am getting more and more confident in speaking mandarin. It is however difficult in adapting to the different tones and grammar structure. Whenever I try to practice in real life with strangers it can be hard going, I often forget critical words or get muddled. But most people are pretty patient and try to figure out what you’re trying to say. Even if it is just “I want a coke”.

One crazy aspect of Beijing is the road system. There seems to be no order, buses, cars, trucks, bikes, motorcycles, mopeds and walkers all go all the time. Somehow no one seems to crash or hit anyone. At first when we tried to cross the road no one was quite sure when to cross, because even though the lights are green for walkers cars will still turn right, but after a while you get used to the system and just start to judge when a car will slow for you to walk and when they won’t. Basically if you don’t want to die on the road, join a group of locals as you cross and you’ll be fine.

From a local New Zealander’s perspective it is completely different to home. Beijing is obviously bigger, busier and brighter. The city is also calmer, full of culture and a centre for diversity. You cannot compare Beijing to New Zealand; Beijing is a place on its own level. One of the main reasons of coming to Beijing was to be part of a culture and way of life that is different to my own. Beijing has certainly exposed me to that, but I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface and I look forward to new experiences and adventures in the weeks to come.

The post Beijing – Week 1 appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment