Monday, January 4, 2016

Christmas in Shenzhen

It is my second week in China and for some reason it feels as if I have been here for 2 months! The city is a lot of fun, the people are great and there is so much to see, but for some reason 2 weeks have been taking their time to pass by! I woke up Saturday morning realizing I have not explored the area where I live (by She Kou Walmart, which every local seems to know). So, I wake up, get ready and started walking South; I had previously seen a pretty cool coffee shop down that area and decided to head there. Unfortunately, the place was closed, but kept walking down that alley and saw the most adorable boutique shop, a massage parlor, a couple of other cool looking boutiques. I even saw a local business that painted Chinese symbols on large rolling paper-that was a cherry on top! At the end of the alley there was a cross walk and I found myself in a decision making position.. Do i go right, left or straight!? Ugh.

IMG_3225

I decided to go right and was looking out for coffee shops. I saw  two men playing a sport that looked like badminton and soon after found a coffee shop. The shop was called The Rabbit Hole, which immediately raised my attention and urged me to go in! The place was amazing. A small local coffee shop with two floors, some tables outside and rabbit ornaments everywhere!! They weren’t freaky, I promise. The owner had them strategically placed so that everything looked perfectly spaced, rabbits where they should be, food, books and menu in their place as well. The place was very original and had a trendy air to it. I stayed their for a while going over my Mandarin lessons and attempting to eavesdrop on my neighbors, but was only able to understand a word or two. I’ll get there, China!!

IMG_3226

After coffee i walked to a park…an amazing park. There was classical Chinese music playing in the background, trees and plants everywhere, kids running, elders walking behind them and some others dancing to the Chinese fan dance.  Walked to a lake and saw a bridge with Chinese-styled architecture (very detailed). After this I walked back to my apartment, made dinner and got ready for the Christmas party that my building had organized. The party was hosted at the apartments’ park. At the entrance they had a peacock made out of flowers!!! It was so beautiful. They provided Christmas dinner: Turkey hot dogs, wine, fruit and other desserts. There was a beautiful woman in a sparkly dress hosting the event of the night on a stage  filled with dancers and musicians. They gave away prizes and many interns won! One intern even won a bike, which I was extremely happy excited and jealous about!Unfortunately, I never had a chance of winning; I arrived late so my ticket was never raffled.
The night was interesting and we ended up meeting a couple of Japanese guys that had some drinks with us, chatted and then headed out. Other interns decided to go out  afterwards while I made my way back to bed. China, thank you for a fun and outstanding day!

The post Christmas in Shenzhen appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment