Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Mandarin Lessons

My first week in Shenzhen. My first week in CHINA. Wow. I cannot stress how amazing this week has been. Today, though, was a special day, a unique day; I had my first real moment of frustration.

IMG_3240

Pizza Hut in China!

I was leaving my first session of Mandarin class (I am taking the one month intensive course which I HIGHLY urge everyone to take, now) and was headed for lunch. Now, the past few days I was able to get by by simply pointing at pictures and laughing off my obvious Mandarin mistakes. I must emphasize how amazing, patient and charismatic the Shenzhen people are! Anyway, I was able to fulfill my hunger by pointing at pictures, BUT today I decided to go to one of the restaurants on the first floor of my Mandarin school building. I confidently go into a restaurant thinking “pictures and smiling”, but no. No pictures, a lot less smiling.

Khrizya Shenzhen Dessert

Chinese dessert

Everything was in Chinese characters. Even the prices! And the place was packed. I sat down, trying hard not to give up and a waitress came along handing me a piece of paper that looked like a menu that I had to hand over to the cooks at the bar. I immediately went blank and asked if she knew English. She nodded her head, smiled and LEFT. This was both the cutest, funniest thing that I could have witnessed and thee most frustrating and scary moment. NOW WHAT? So, I got up, followed her and asked if she had chicken dumplings (in Mandarin because I had just learned how to say dumplings earlier that morning), but apparently my accent sucked and she did not understand a word I was saying, and again, she left me standing in the middle of other hungry people walking to the bar to hand their menu to the cooks.

I did not give up, though. I walked up to another waiter, and he was able to point out at the Chinese symbols that meant dumplings. I was so happy!!! Unfortunately, they only had pork dumplings and to my luck I do not eat pork. So, all of that effort for zero food and a half-defeated me! Oh well. I kept walking along the first floor and found another lunch place that I was extremely excited about; it was a type of make-it-yourself soup. To my left of the shop there were some baskets with CHICKEN dumplings, meat skewers, veggies, noodles and some other delicious/extravagant looking Chinese food. I saw other customers grab a bucket and start picking and placing ingredients into it. So, I did the same. I eventually got my soup and it was delicious. It was a type of miso broth with all of my chosen ingredients. I swear to you, I loved this place so much it will definitely be one of my go-to places for lunch.

IMG_3293

My miso broth noodle soup

 

So, in the end, it worked out perfectly. Good food and learned lessons. Thank you, Shenzhen and your people!

The post Mandarin Lessons appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment