Monday, November 30, 2015

A breath of (slightly fresher) air

On the weekend after my first week I got the chance to visit Hangzhou for a daytrip. After running from the metro through Honqiao Railway to reach the train, it only took one short hour on the bullet train and we were in Hangzhou, home of the famous Xihu, or West Lake. Hangzhou is also supposed to be ‘the most beautiful city in China’, and it beautiful it was. Our day was spent wandering around the lake, enjoying the scenic views and traditional buildings and gardens. We got to take out a small wooden boat to see the ‘three pools mirroring the moon’, a set of stone pillars pictured on the 1RMB note. It was lovely to be outside of the city, even if only for a day, to escape the hustle and bustle of Shanghai.

I’ve been enjoying the weekly lessons in Mandarin, and am starting to be able to speak basic phrases to get around, but it’s still so challenging when everyone speaks so fast! This week we learnt how to order food in a restaurant- arguably the most important skill while living in Shanghai, with so many delicious foods around. I can get amazing freshly cooked dumplings on my way home from work, four for only 5 kwai, which I may have indulged in a little too much!

I’ve also done some sightseeing around Shanghai, walking the famous Bund, and visiting both a visiting Salvador Dali exhibition and Rain Room, which is an incredible installation of water and light at the Yuz museum.

I’ve loved my time in Shanghai so far, and can’t believe I’m already halfway through my time in this city. It’s been challenging at times, but I’ve already learnt so much, both in the office and outside, and am so excited for the rest of my time here.

The post A breath of (slightly fresher) air appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment