Sunday, January 17, 2016

Wrapping up for Christmas and it’s cold outside! – Observation by an Aussie

The notion of having a cold Christmas has always fascinated me. I am sure it is almost everyone’s dream to see snow falling on top of tinsel and fairy-light covered houses and see it sprinkle down to cover every inch of the tar road and turn every tree into a beautiful white sculpture. Well, that really is not what Christmas looks like in Shanghai. It is that awkward bit in the middle – it is clearly not hot enough to even think about wearing less than three layers but it is also not cold enough for snow to fall. So here I will be, stuck in a city with less than desirable Christmas temperature and actually spending my first Christmas away from home.
Because Christmas is only two sleeps away (oh my goodness!), this also means I have lived in Shanghai for three weeks now. I must say, time has gone quickly now that I look back at my three weeks, making me so much more excited to see the Australian sun and beach again. Nonetheless, Shanghai still continues to catch me by surprise, whether it is the unpredictable weather, the sometimes-questionable food, or culture itself.
6
One thing I will definitely miss when I leave is the delivery service McDonald’s and KFC offers. What a genius idea! We ordered KFC and got it delivered right to our door the other night we stayed in – the delivery man actually came to our hotel, located building B, went up to level 31 and delivered the food. I know this will certainly solve a lot of dinner issues later on!
7
In terms of work, everything is being wrapped up for the year (no Christmas pun intended!) and holidays start tomorrow! I have over a week off and I really do not know what to do with myself! One thing for sure – we are checking out this hidden bar with a Coke vending machine as the door. That is the thing that fascinates me about Shanghai –hidden places are so plentiful, especially bars that are super fun to go to and are almost better than Australia, if not actually better!
8
Three weeks down and five to go. Counting down until I can experience summer the way I like it again!
But until then, two more sleeps until Christmas!

The post Wrapping up for Christmas and it’s cold outside! – Observation by an Aussie appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment