Friday, November 20, 2015

A week in Shanghai

I’ve now been living in Shanghai for just over a week- life happens so quickly in this city it’s gone so fast! I arrived in Shanghai last week, and it has been an amazing experience so far.

In the days before I began my internship, I attended the CRCC Induction Day at a teahouse, which was full of good food and an introduction to China and Shanghai. That night we had the Welcome Banquet, which I made after briefly getting lost in the concrete jungle that is Pudong! On the weekend I wandered around the French Concession district of Shanghai, where I am living, where I found little boutique shops, cafes and tree-lined avenues. A local Shanghainese friend introduced me to Tianzifang, a little-known maze of cosy alleyways full of crafts markets, art studios and narrow laneways.

I’ve also been made to pick up Mandarin phrases to survive- taxi drivers and shopkeepers don’t speak English, so you will need to know how to ask for what you want! It’s good though- in one week I’ve already improved my language skills by simply living here.

I’ve been interning at the China-Britain Business Council, which has been amazing so far. I’ve been mostly working on research projects produced for CBBC’s Overseas Market Introduction Service, which introduces British companies to the relevant market in China. So far I’ve been involved in projects for companies in medicine, construction and architecture, as well as working on a project collaborating with a law firm for a CBBC event.

I also got the opportunity on Friday to visit FHC – the Chinese Food and Hotel trade show. It was located in quite possibly the biggest venue I’ve ever seen- and was full of international and domestic food and beverage companies looking to import, export or buy products for retailers. I also got the opportunity to form networks with people from Australia, China, Denmark and Britain, swapping my CRCC Asia business card.

I’m looking forward to the many more weeks to come in Shanghai, and can’t wait for the adventures to be had in this city!

The post A week in Shanghai appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment