Thursday, September 10, 2015

Nihao from Shanghai!

I cannot quite believe my first week in Shanghai has come to an end so quickly! After a long flight from Heathrow, I was incredibly relieved to be greeted by the CRCC team waving their white flags on my arrival in Shanghai. Induction and the Welcome Banquet followed the next day and this was my first chance to sample some traditional Chinese delicacies including duck’s head and turtle. Having tried both I can safely say that my favourite Chinese dinner remains unchanged and beef in black bean sauce will always be my first choice off the menu!

Monday was the first day of my placement at the Cultural and Education Section of the British Consulate-General (British Council in China) where I am working in the Corporate Communications department. My office is located in the Diplomatic district of Shanghai and has a beautiful water feature outside the building in addition to being situated near all the other international embassies. I was welcomed by the staff in the Shanghai office and have settled in quickly within the Marketing and Communications team. My work this week started with inductions with the various Special Business Units within the office so that I could gain a better understanding of the work the British Council does.

JR3
The main task I will be working on during my placement is the British Council’s “Our Story” project and this will involve both internal and external communications as well as the opportunity to meet with various members of the office. In addition to this, I help proofread and amend the weekly newsletter to be circulated around all of the China offices.

 
Having a background in Anthropology, my role has been particularly engaging as I have been able to draw on my analytical skills as well as my communication skills whilst gaining a better insight into Chinese culture. I have embraced the challenge of learning Mandarin as I have found that getting around the city is a lot more difficult than I expected due to so few people speaking English. With this in mind I have made it my goal to at least be able to order food, drinks and taxis in Mandarin during my time here.

 
Living in China has been somewhat daunting, but I have been adjusting well and doing my best to navigate around the bustling Shanghai metro. My first weekend was spent exploring the impressive skyscrapers on The Bund as well as the beautiful Tianzinfang area and Xintiandi markets.

JR1
The lows of my first week included losing a shoe after being pushed off a metro carriage! Despite this, I am really starting to find my feet in Shanghai and enjoying all that this beautiful country has to offer me. I look forward to the rest of my adventures here!

 

The post Nihao from Shanghai! appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment