Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Hello Hangzhou!

This week kicked off with a whirlwind of cultural events, having attended the private viewing of the Rain Room opening at Shanghai’s Yuz Museum along with a visit to Shanghai’s Acrobatic Circus. Both were equally impressive in their own right and made me realise just how lucky I am to be in such a cosmopolitan city with so much going on. I also made a visit to Hakassan, a Michelin starred Cantonese restaurant on the Bund which was the ideal location for dinner whilst looking out onto the Shanghai skyline.</p>
At work I have been busy interviewing various members of the Cultural and Education section of the British Embassy and this has allowed me to meet new people as well as find new lunch buddies! Aside from this I have been involved in a number of conference calls and have assisted with Communications announcements that have been sent out to the different China offices. I feel fully integrated within my team and am really enjoying getting involved with the daily work that goes into Corporate Communications.

Hangzhoubynight
The week was shorter than usual as China celebrated Victory day on September 3rd with a large military parade held in Beijing. I took the opportunity to venture away from Shanghai for the long weekend and hopped on the bullet train to the picturesque city of Hangzhou about 1 hour south of Shanghai. The Chinese rail network is vast and even the stations themselves are impressive architecturally. I arrived in Hangzhou and was immediately hit by the fresher air-quality; the pollution in Shanghai can create smog that clouds over buildings.

Colloquially known as ‘The Venice of the East’, Hangzhou did not disappoint with the beautiful West Lake providing the perfect backdrop for photographs. I was lucky enough to take a private boat tour of the lake before heading up to the Grand Canal area which was beautifully lit up with colourful lights lining the pretty streets which were brimming with pottery workshops and traditional Chinese stalls.

I was very sad to wave Hangzhou goodbye but will be heading on a business trip to Beijing on Monday and can’t wait to explore more of China.

The post Hello Hangzhou! appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment