Thursday, September 3, 2015

Work Hard, Play Hard: Shenzhen Edition

How have I already been in Shenzhen for over a month? To think that I have already reached and surpassed the halfway stage of my summer internship in China is pretty crazy.  For me now the daily 9-6.30 work hours, getting around about the city on public transport, making conversations with street vendors and shop keepers with the little Mandarin I know have just become second nature. It’s gone to an extent that the locals just assume that I’m one of them, (add to the fact that I’m Asian) and talk to me in quick, fluent Mandarin!

SRB

Daily life in Shenzhen has been pretty dandy. At work, I’ve moved on from doing the site analysis graphics to tackling the renderings of the proposal’s design concepts. This meant that I had to quickly learn how to use Rhino (a software capable of 3D modeling), alongside brushing up on my good old Photoshop skills. Currently I’m working on completing a technical section diagram of one of their large-scale multistory office building in Guangzhou. The project is currently being constructed and it is truly amazing seeing the plans and section diagrams in 2D being translated to something so physical and tangible. Work relationships in the office have also been fulfilling and I have really come to learn a lot about business culture here in China. Last week a small group of work colleagues went to Zhuzilin ‘Urban Village’ area for some Sichuan Hot Pot – a new, unconquered dish for me thus far. Amongst spicy soup and an array of delicious side dishes, the evening was a perfect opportunity to talk to my colleagues in more depth about working in an architecture firm in Shenzhen and also about the profession itself. One thing that I’ve definitely found quite amusing about work life in China is their importance of nap times.  Come around 1.30pm everyday, you’ll be sure to find a couple of heads knocked out flat and laid out on the tables. I’ve even heard that some offices offer beds just for the event! Now, if only I could take back this ideology back to the UK and make it an integral part of the office…

SRC

Outside of work, as a modern metropolis Shenzhen has plenty of venues and events to keep you entertained throughout the week. Seaworld in Shekou is the perfect hotspot for evenings after work if you’re wanting a place to just chill and sit back over food and/or drinks. We’ve even come to accumulate a few favourite venues such as The Tavern in Seaworld – a sports bar we frequented to watch some football and to gorge on their killer nachos – and a local Chinese restaurant just beside our apartment which serve the absolute best iced lemon tea. The KTV Night (or karaoke) organized by CRCC Asia in week 4 where we all jammed to Hip Hop, R&B and Pop tunes has to be one of the highlights of the experience so far. Definitely an event not to be missed by future CRCC Asia interns.

SRD

Weekends here in Shenzhen have ranged from exploring new areas around the city, shopping, trying out new dishes, visiting temples, climbing mountains – there’s so much to do! Last weekend we took the new interns out to Shenzhen’s very own amusement park, Happy Valley, which was a blast. With five major rollercoasters, a water park and plenty more rides to satisfy the adrenaline junkie in me, we all had a fantastic time at Happy Valley. I would definitely recommend getting a fast track ticket for 100RMB extra as the theme park becomes packed especially on the weekends.

With two more weeks left in Shenzhen, I am now on a mission to finish my list of things to do and see in the city. Wish me luck!

The post Work Hard, Play Hard: Shenzhen Edition appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment