Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Beautiful China

Already almost time to go home… China really has grown on me these past 3 weeks and although I miss home, a part of me wishes I could stay longer.

 

Life

Guilin-Shaheer TariqI feel much more comfortable now. As strange as it sounds, coming back from Guilin (which I’ll talk about later) felt like what I imagined going back to Canada would feel like. I had just started to get used to constantly feeling like a celebrity. If you’re confused, let me explain. Despite China being extremely modern, it seems that many people (especially in rural  areas that we travelled to) are not used to seeing foreigners, and it is very easy to tell. Be warned: people may take pictures. The way I see it, people are just curious (and if you talk to them very nice, albeit shy), and don’t mean it in a negative way. No such thing as bad publicity, right?

Work

I finished up my large project at work, and will be presenting it on Friday (my last day). If you’re interested in buy-side finance: it was an analysis of a company called Himax Technologies, where after doing my analysis I gave a “buy” recommendation supported by a report explaining the business model, growth projections, and the valuation model. My presentation will involve pitching to the analyst team, after which they will take a closer look and decide if they want to move forward.

Travel

Travelling took up the bulk of my time this week. We left for Guilin/Yangshuo on Thursday morning and came back Sunday night. If you’re planning on travelling during your time in China, the high-speed trains are extremely quick and convenient. Took us 3 hours to get to Guilin (~630km), and the scenery along the way was gorgeous. In Guilin we saw the Sun & Moon Pagodas, bargained with merchants in the Night Market, and went to the breath-taking Longsheng Rice Terraces. If you’re in Shenzhen, I would highly recommend visiting this area – you won’t regret it.

Longshen Rice Terraces-Guilin-Shaheer TariqShaheer Tariq Guilin
The highlight for me though, was Yangshuo (and getting there). We travelled to Yangshuo via the “Li River Cruise” which may have been the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. My words won’t do it justice, and neither will any pictures. You’ll have to visit and experience the Li River for yourself. Walking along the pier in Yangshuo made me feel like I was in a town from Game of Thrones. Very crowded, merchants everywhere, and languages I couldn’t understand. From there we entered “West Street” which is unlike any street I’ve seen in the western world. Filled with little shops, food stalls, and beautiful little buildings – I thoroughly enjoyed it. My most memorable experience though, was riding the Mopeds. For six hours, they cost us only 50RMB (~$10 for me). I can now say that I have driven in Chinese traffic. Definitely one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. Driving mopeds is one thing, but doing it on roads that have such a gorgeous backdrop is something that I think should be on everyone’s bucket list.

The post Beautiful China appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment