Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Holidays in China

This week was the Dragon Boat Festival in China, which is a major holiday here. My coworker told me the story, but all I remember is that this poet in a smaller country wrote something about freeing his people and then ran to China to hide where assassins from the smaller country found him and he drowned in a river. However, he was so loved that people threw sticky rice into the river so that the fish would eat that instead of his body. Today, people eat sticky rice and have dragon boat races for the holiday. I may have gotten some of that wrong, but either way we had a long weekend on our first week of interning.

Though I am really enjoying my internship so far, it was nice to have an
extra day off and enjoy some sticky rice (Which is actually very good.) WeHutong-Beijing did not see any dragon boat races, but some other interns and I explored some sights in the city. At the Temple of Heaven there is a place where you see nine layers of this giant concrete hill symbolizing the nine layers of heaven and the middle is rumored to be the center of the universe. All the tourists pushed their way to forward, saying that they were the center of the universe.

After my internship I like to walk around the Hutong in Beijing, which is where my internship is and see the different streets. People are very friendly there and it is nice to see this side of Beijing. There is also a river nearby where people fish and play games. It is very relaxing to sit and people watch It was nice to get a taste of Chinese culture during the holiday and to start getting settled into my internship.

River-Hutong-Beijing

The post Holidays in China appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment