Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Long Haul

I’m not even half way through but it feels like I’ve been here for months. Only fond memories of the west like clean streets exist. I’ve been on a quest to find the best burger in Beijing, but I’ve got high standards. So far, I’ve found Slowboat Brewery to be the best burger in town. However, this Saturday is the Burger Cup right across from the accommodation.


One of my expat friends is leaving tomorrow and I feel slightly jealous but Beijing-neighborhoodI also feel like I have to endure the hardships of China to earn my return to the states. Besides people, I miss swimming the most, in a pond in the middle of nature. I know that once I get there at the end of June it’ll be a whole new perspective on it. I’ll appreciate and revel in the moment much more.
At times I’ve forgotten that I’m at the other side of the world, but I’ve also not forgotten that I’ll never fully integrate into this society. Given my complexion, I can never fully become a local. I find the life of an expat to be lonely yet rather freeing. This is, in my mind, what distinguishes people that can survive in China, and those that cannot.


My suggestion is that before you come to understand that it will take some time to get used to as it is very different from Western culture. Being in China has given me a better understanding of our cultural differences, as well as an appreciation for the people, friends, and environment I have at home. Beijing-Henry-Hyde Beijing-Henry-Hyde-2

The post The Long Haul appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment