Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Must-Sees in Beijing

This past weekend we went to Xidan commercial area, Summer Palace, and Shichahai Lake. The weekday work schedule and exhausting commute has caught up to me and I wanted to keep the weekend trips more chill so that I would have more time to relax. Each place that we went to was unique in its own way, and the Summer Palace and Shichahai were my favorite places we’ve visited so far in Beijing.

IMG_5722

This past weekend also served several firsts; the weather hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit, tons of natives in Summer Palace asking Christine to take selfies with them, and a mistake in ordering food led to extremely spicy bowls of noodles that we couldn’t continue eating (spicy in terms of the noodles being made with notorious Beijing peppers). I loved Summer Palace because of how beautiful the entire park was and how well the architecture all came together. I recommend spending time around the lake, which was my favorite spot, and looking out at the bridge, island, and Fragrant Hills that are in the background; that is one view I would never get tired of.

IMG_5697

I’ve attached a picture of the bowl of noodles as a warning. Do not ever order this if you ever see it.

Our failed lunch left us staying in the safe lane with fish and chips for dinner at Wangfujing. A late night snack of Hong Kong egg waffles hit the spot, and I definitely recommend trying out ice cream with Hong Kong egg waffles if you ever get the chance! In addition, I wasn’t expecting much of Shichahai (Beihai is makes up one of the lakes there), but while I was strolling among the crowded sidewalks with tour groups, foreigners, and natives, the place still kept its traditional feeling. There were little shops, boutiques, and restaurants selling cute souvenirs, nifty trinkets, and interesting food.

The weather was even hotter on Sunday, past 100 degrees Fahrenheit, but the cloudy sky and breeze made it feel a lot cooler. I’ve been on the lookout for shaved ice, or 刨冰,every time we go out during the weekend, but haven’t had any luck so far. Since mangoes are especially juicy and sweet in Asia, most natives recommend mango shaved ice, which has pieces of fruit, ice cream, and various toppings like jellies, red bean, condensed milk, and etc. that mixes together to create a wonderful dessert. The heat and sweat made us settle for a pineapple smoothie and mango smoothie instead. If you walk far out enough along the river, you’ll hit the hutongs (or traditional residential area), which is also a nice place to stroll around if you want to get away from the bars, shops, and restaurants.

Overall, I cannot believe how fast the time is passing. During my morning commute, I take the bus with one or two other interns who are finishing up their one month internship program tomorrow. I can’t believe how fast the time is passing, and I want to size every moment that I have here!

The post Must-Sees in Beijing appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment