Thursday, June 11, 2015

#3: “Carefully Slippery”

This week resumed to the normal chaos of a huge metropolitan city. Work from 9-6 takes up much of my time during the week. I had been working on rebuilding my company’s website from scratch to give them a better image with their clients, and although it was a tedious task, it was enjoyable to be able to utilize the skills I’ve learned at University. After work, I wandered around Shenzhen to explore the city.

2

I found myself in Sihai Park. About two blocks from where we live, the park is much bigger than what the name reveals. There was greenery, statues, tables, and groups of elderly people everywhere. Walking around, I easily got lost in the various paths that would lead you to a different nook or cranny that you had left undiscovered before. Groups of elderly people would be sitting around playing their instruments or exercising. It was a great atmosphere!

3

I also went to Nantou Ancient Town. Known to have had a community existing since the fourth century, Nantou Ancient Town is where Hong Kong and Shenzhen both started. From all the pictures of China that I had googled before coming here, this town was the most relatable. There were endless streets of shops selling whole ducks, pigs and reptiles. The streets had trash all over them, which was a surprisingly stark contrast to the part of Shenzhen I’m used to. The people seemed to be living a simple lifestyle, and most of the children were out in the alleyways playing and running around.

1

On the weekend, we made a trip to Hong Kong (HK). One of the other interns had a family member there, and we ended up staying at their place. We toured Times Square and the famous shopping streets that HK is so well known for. Later in the night, we visited Victoria’s Peak, which was one of the most beautiful sights that I have seen since coming to China. From the peak, you could see the entire bustling city. Lights splattered the earth on all sides, and it effectively reduced your own presence to that of a tiny speck in comparison.

In the upcoming weeks, the UT Austin students and other interns are planning to go to Beijing/Shanghai.

–Zahra

The post #3: “Carefully Slippery” appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment