Tuesday, June 16, 2015

From Puppet Shows to Parks & Ar

The days are full, times are fun and flying by! This is the third week for the Interns who started this month and also the last full week for those who are only here for one month. I am still amazed at how fast it is going by but I am so thankful I have another month to spend here in Shenzhen. My boss just moved into a new office as he just opened his own law firm. The first two weeks in the office had the feeling of new beginnings and great possibilities. The office only had the essentials, such as furniture and a couple pieces of art. This week, the office was decorated with plants, and being a nature lover, I walked into the office on Monday morning happily surprised. The office feels much more productive and much more alive when surrounded by life! We also have two new fish! The office is shaping up to be a great place with great people and potential.

unnamed

A week or so ago, the interns went to the oil art village Dafen and a Chinese Puppet Show. I read on BBC that Dafen is the number 1 source of art for the entire world, and after being there, this is easy to understand. The puppet show was cute and retold classic childhood stories like “don’t cry wolf” and the semblance’s of Little Red Riding Hood. The village, as it is called, reminds me of walking down the streets of a European city and watching magic as it happens. There are easily over 100 shops where you can browse for different art paintings and styles that include just about anything you may be looking for. I saw paintings from historical and popular artists to modern and retro art, to even textured art. The only shame to the whole experience was that I couldn’t fit one of each in my suitcase, and some of them are already framed, making the expense to ship back home more than my budget will allow. It is simply amazing and a must see for anyone in Shenzhen.

I love to explore and I have found a park just a short bike ride away where I can ride my bike, skateboard, or simply walk along the coastal walkway. I was looking for the Shenzhen Mangrove Nature Preserve, but after some research on needing a reservation in advance, I found the Shenzhen Bay Park to be just as wonderful. There is a concrete walkway right along the entire edge of the coast, and along this is another elevated walkway that is much wider and more suitable for all the bikers and walkers. I have been there a few times but it goes for miles so I have not always walked the entire walkway. However, Sunday I discovered you can rent Tandem bikes so I am planning to go back with friends so we can rent a bike and cruise along the coast for the day.

 

The post From Puppet Shows to Parks & Ar appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment