Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Experience Shanghai

During my experience in Shanghai, I have learned to embrace cultural differences and become excited by the thrill of anything new. While this city is ever-changing, it’s so rich in culture and history that one can only imagine living here and being surrounded by such extremes.  

My internship deals heavily with market research, something I have never done in class as an English major, but I have actually really enjoyed it. I start with research: I learn the product or topic, then figure out the target market and find their use for the product. After, I formulate a report based on my findings. I find I can use my experience from my major because the report is very similar to an essay. I have found that it makes me frustrated at times because I am yearning for a bit more creativity, a bit more writing, and a bit more literature. While I miss my educational experiences as an English major, I still really enjoy what I have been doing. It gives me a great pleasure knowing that I’m currently working on a project that has an impact on a product that could potentially be in the stores, or even on my kitchen counter! The only downside about being an intern is that I rely on my supervisor for assignments.  Ironically, this is also one of the best things since, on occasion, I am able to leave early and enjoy Shanghai!

IMG_1859

Jing’an Temple is one of those many historical sites that I referred to earlier. It was built around 1270 AD for monks, and is so amazing.  We walked through it, and had to take photos of all that it had to offer. I was even able to take a few pictures with Buddha! This site is full of history.  It encompasses a lot of what I have come to love about Shanghai: the hidden beauty that lies beneath the hustle and bustle of the everyday life of the city. It embodies history, tradition, and culture all in one site.  I saw many locals there, praying and being surrounded by the monks there as they prayed.  I’m not sure entirely what type of ceremony I had witnessed, but it was so cool. It was as if all of these people were bonded by a spirit that had overcome them all for the sake of a greater bonding.  The architecture is also amazing. It still surprises me when I see such developed workmanship in historical buildings. Personally, I believe that places like Jing’an Temple make the Pearl Tower look like a toy.  The beauty of the Temple just can’t be beat.

IMG_1811

This past weekend was also the supposed “typhoon” which had my mom terrified and texting me all night long from 8,000 miles away.  It reminded me of Hurricane Sandy, but with less of an impact.  Due to the storm, we were forced to stay in the hotel all day as the rains and winds slammed against the building.  It really wasn’t even that bad! Still, being able to nestle in bed and rest up was so rewarding.  I was ready to take on more of Shanghai on a beautiful Sunday, the day in which it was supposed to get even worst! I found my way to the fabric market where I picked up a custom jacket made for me! I even picked up a few things at the French concession, where I actually found really good pizza, kiwi juice, and ice cream with sprinkles!

I am looking forward to everything else in store for me!

The post Experience Shanghai appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment