Monday, July 13, 2015

Dapeng & Beyond

These recent weeks have been filled with hiking and exploring foreign parts of town and have created simply wonderful memories. Although I was hesitant to explore Dapeng Fortress by myself, in fear I would get lost along the way, I decided that if you never try you could never know. Boy, was I thrilled to make that decision because the trip to Dapeng could not have been any easier!

On the day of my trip, I hopped on the metro all the way to the end of the Blue line and literally caught the transfer bus right down the stairs from the metro station stop. The bus ride was extremely cheap and gave me a wonderful taste of life outside of the hustle and bustle of the city skyscrapers. When I hopped off the bus to make a transfer, there were motorbike drivers happily waiting to take people to the Fortress walls. Being a fan of this awesome method of transport, I hopped on the back of a motorbike and off we went. It might have only been a ten minute ride or so, but I’m always happy on the back of a motorbike with fresh air blowing all your cares away.

Steph2

I finally arrived at Dapeng Fortress and began working my way to the entrance. I took a wrong turn and found a little beach village and a slightly further walk brought me to the edge of the town right on the beach. I was happily surprised. I made my way back to the street and walked a little ways to find a secluded area with high grasses, a gazebo, and these 6 foot statutes. I had to capture the moment.

After this detour, I found the outer walls of the fortress and entered. To my surprise, the main aisle was bustling with little shops, stands, and vendors selling items from tiny carved creations to squid on a stick! I have no pictures of the squid but I will say It was delicious.

The view from the back of the fortress was beautiful, with rolling Mountains and abundant rice fields. I can see why China is such a beautiful country. It has rich culture around every corner, and never too far from the city life.

Steph3

I even found this cute little puppy! I had to sit down and spend some time with her, and she was happy to see me too.

In addition to Dapeng, I had the opportunity to hike up the tall peak that is visible from my apartment complex in Shekou. It is a short walk from Apartment One and at 350m high, it is certainly a feat! While it begins a few blocks from the apartment, it ends in Sea World (or begins, depending on which side you prefer). Tasting this mountain has given me the desire to climb Wutong Mountain either this weekend or next weekend, which is unfortunately my last weekend in China. Wutong is 950m high and will serve to top off my time in Shenzhen, no pun intended! Stay tuned!

The post Dapeng & Beyond appeared first on CRCC Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment